Refurbishment of buildings and public spaces including nature-based solutions and promotion of biodiversity
At present, there is a lack of successful realisations as well as lack of the concrete/specific examples of the adaptation and mitigation measures carried out during the refurbishment of buildings and reconstruction of public spaces. Climate change requires solutions that are not only innovative but also demonstrative, serving as positive examples for other similar residential districts. Refurbishment of buildings and reconstruction of public spaces will be done giving the priority to the nature-based solutions and the special measures to support biodiversity will be implemented as well.
What we have planned
Based on the Municipality Bratislava-Karlova Ves carbon footprint calculation (the calculation was realised in 2017), the energy consumption of public buildings represents 87,7% of total energy consumed by the whole municipality. Two public buildings (a school and a kindergarten) and their surrounding areas will be refurbished and will serve as model for the further renovation process. Moreover, based on detailed analyses, the overall energy savings potential for the residential housing stock of the district will be quantified. The biodiversity supporting measures will bring more greenery and life in the currently monotone residential districts and to the public spaces (school yards, courtyards) and therefore local climate amelioration (e.g. summer heats temperatures decrease) is expected.
In order to reduce the carbon footprint, the partial technical blueprint for refurbishment of the Kindergarten Koliskova (MS Koliskova) was already elaborated as well as the first analyses and feasibility study of the in-depth refurbishment of the Primary School A. Dubceka (ZS AS) started in 2017. An innovative and prototype approach to the pilot refurbishment of these two buildings will be focused not only on the reduction of the carbon footprint itself (through energy savings), but also on application of different adaptation measures and nature-based solutions. The prototype character is given by the solution that combines mitigation and adaptation measures and includes also biodiversity supporting measures and education especially in the field of renewable energy, nature-based solutions and sustainable rainwater management. This approach should be unique in Slovakia and has potential to become replicable not only in Slovakia, but also in other similar residential districts with panel construction and in European cities and towns. The in-depth buildings refurbishment will include some of the prototype solutions as well. The aim of refurbishment of two public buildings is to achieve a building standard with nearly zero energy consumption (A0). In addition to energy savings (the need for heating roughly at the level of a passive house and the use of renewable energy sources), we expect a significant improvement in the quality of the indoor air quality for pupils through the ventilation system.
Demonstrative nature-based solutions will be part of the learning process, including a model approach to rainwater (capture and secondary use), the use of vegetation roofs and walls, biodiversity supporting measures on the buildings as well as within their premises (animal habitats, community garden) and will follow the measures already implemented. Monitoring how the building functions (operation, energy requirements, nesting of birds, etc.) will be possible within the school, in the Community Climate Educational Centre and via the Internet.
The refurbishment of public buildings will be done using the following mitigation and adaptation measures:
- sustainable rainwater management – development of a system to collect rainwater from roofs and surfaces and store it or to infiltrate rainwater through different options (bioretention, detention ponds, infiltration zones and trenches etc.),
- use of permeable surfaces of reinforced surfaces,
- increase in the share of vegetation (planting trees and shrubs, creating green dividing strips, using alternative types of vegetation etc.,
- use of different water elements – rainwater garden, etc.,
- pilot application of colours and/or reflective surfaces,
- fostering sustainable mobility.
To support biodiversity, nesting boxes for bats and swifts (Apus apus) will be installed, trees and blooming meadows will be planted and conditions for useful animals will be created (winter hiding places for hedgehogs, etc.).
What we have done so far
- 10 small insect hotels were installed in the Sports and recreation area Majerníkova.
- Another 19 nesting boxes were added in Karlova Ves.
- Thanks to the project, 91 trees and 177 shrubs were added in Karlova Ves.
- We have completed work on the in-depth renovation of the Kolískova Kindergarten building (April 2022)
- We anchored dead wood in 3 places in the Majernikova sports and recreation area. Another dead wood was added on the roof of the local office of Karlova Ves.
- We started work on the in-depth renovation of the Alexander Dubcek Primary School building (December 2021),
- Water retention measures in the park Kaskády have been implemented (November 2021),
- A contract with the implementer of water retention measures in the public space of the Kaskády signed,
- 12 nesting boxes were added in Karlova Ves.
- Installation of outdoor shading tarpaulins in the area of five children’s playgrounds as a part of measures to mitigate the effects of climate change,
- Preparation of public procurement for the elaboration of project documentation for the implementation of water retention measures in the public space of Kaskády,
- Work started on the deep renovation of the Kindergarten Kolískova (December 2020),
- Implemented public procurement for implementers of deep renovations of Kindergarten Kolískova and Primary School A.Dubčeka,
- Biodiversity support – construction of a arbor to retain rainwater and support biodiversity in the Sports and recreational area Majerníkova,
- Prepared project documentation for the restoration of part of the selected public space – Jurigovo Square
- Obtained a building permit for the reconstruction of the Kindergarten Kolískova and Primary School A.Dubčeka,
- Support of biodiversity – creation of 1 shelter for reptiles, renovation of 1 and construction of 1 new insect hotel, fencing of 3 steeper slopes and planting of 160 trusses and climbing grounds, 74 perennials and 47 trees in the premises of the Primary School A. Dubčeka,
- Elaboration of a detailed plan of measures to support biodiversity in the Sports and recreational area Majerníková with the participation of pupils from the Primary School A. Dubčeka, activists, the Bratislava-Karlova Ves Local Authority and the Karlova Ves Public Benefit Services,
- Biodiversity support – installation of 5 feeding and 2 nesting boxes in the premises of the Primary School A. Dubčeka,
- Biodiversity support – installation of 2 feeding and 2 nesting boxes in the premises of the Kindergarten Kolískova,
- Selection of the premises of the Kindergarten Kolískova and the Sports and recreational area Majerníkova (at the Primary School A.Dubčeka) as places for the, implementation of measures to support biodiversity
- Project documentation of the deep renovation of the building of the Primary School A. Dubčeka prepared,
- Contracting of design works for the preparation of project documentation of deep renovation of the Primary School A. Dubčeka,
- Project documentation for the renovation of the Kindergarten Kolískova with prototype green solutions completed,
- Elaborated principles for the construction and restoration of paved surfaces in the Municipality Bratislava-Karlova Ves,
- Measuring the indoor air quality (levels of carbon dioxide – CO2) in classrooms of the Kindergarten Koliskova and Primary School A. Dubčeka,
- Preparation of the detailed requirements for the technical blueprint contract for refurbishment of Kindergarten Koliskova,
- Contracting of the detailed technical documentation (the blueprint) of the refurbishment of Kindergarten Koliskova,
- Preparation of the detailed requirements for the technical blueprint contract for the in-depth refurbishment of Primary School A. Dubceka,
- Preparation of documents needed for refurbishment of Primary School A. Dubceka: Study on increasing energy efficiency and improving the learning environment in Primary School A. Dubceka, Majernikova Street 62, Bratislava; Report from in-depth energy audit of Primary School A. Dubceka,
- Preparation of pilot solutions to enhance resilience of public building to climate change: Pilot solution to reduce summer heat in the public area – pedestrian zone Pribišova / Ľ.Fulla, Dlhe Diely, Bratislava – design of solution, visualization of the solution,
- Supporting of biodiversity – winter shelters for hedgehogs built up in Kindergarten Koliskova and Primary School A. Dubceka,
- Preparation of criteria for creation and renovation of public spaces,