Elaboration of a strategy document on mitigation and adaptation to climate change
Without a suitable strategical document on mitigation and adaptation to climate change, that will define specific adaptation and mitigation measures, it would be very difficult for us to manage the negative impacts of climate change. At the same time, if we do not radically reduce greenhouse gas emissions we will leave behind a big challenge for next generations to cope with. Based on recent reports on the state of greenhouse gas emissions development (IPPC, 2018), it is necessary to cut greenhouse gas emissions by 45% by 2030 and reach net-zero by 2050 to avoid serious irreversible changes of 2 degrees Celsius temperature increase.
What we have planned
As part of the DELIVER project, a methodology for creating a strategy document on mitigation and adaptation to climate change will be prepared and tested. An integrated approach to the use of individual adaptation and motivation measures (highlighting synergies and reducing antagonisms) with a stress on promoting ecological solutions and biodiversity will be emphasised.
The strategy document will set up a long-term vision for climate resilience, sustainable energy and reducing CO2 emissions in the city district Bratislava-Karlova Ves. It will include specific adaptation and mitigation measures in key areas, information on potential benefits and opportunities, determination of responsibilities, key milestones and priority areas.
Creation of the strategical document will consist of the following steps:
- Setting up a working group consisting of internal and external climate change experts (adaptation and mitigation). This working group will serve as an advisory body also for other project activities.
- Vulnerability assessment of key areas to the negative impacts of climate change will be implemented through standard procedures (IPCC). The outcome of the vulnerability assessment will be the identification of sites that are most at risk of climate change impacts. These will be then marked in the map as areas requiring a priority solution.
- Defining the optimal adaptation and mitigation measures (based on different multi-sectoral aspects, technical conditions, resource savings, efficiency, economic and social barriers / benefits will be taken into account).
- Elaboration of a catalogue of possible adaptation and mitigation measures in individual sectors for residential areas.
- Analysis of the largest sources of greenhouse gas emissions in the Bratislava-Karlova Ves area and setting the target for reduced emissions in 2030.
- Implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the strategy document on reduction of carbon footprint and increased climate change resilience.
What we have done so far
- We created the portal Green, climatically resistant and nature-friendly Karlova Ves, which consists of maps:
a) feeling map (shows the result of the collection of opinions and feelings of the inhabitants of Karlova Ves on climate change and its effects on the city district in 2019)
b) runoff model (shows the outflow of water in Karlova Ves during the rain with a total of 31 mm, duration 30 min and constant intensity during the rain)
c) map of the location of solar panels in Karlova Ves in 2020
d) map of quantification of the potential for energy savings of the housing stock in Karlova Ves according to data collected in 2018
e) map simulating the temperature conditions of the territory of Karlova Ves (year 2019)
f) map showing the risk of summer heat in Karlova Ves derived from the surfaces of the settlement structure in Karlova Ves (year 2019)
g) map showing the total / summary exposure of the territory of Karlova Ves with regard to the risk of summer heat (year 2019)
h) map of selected localities (grass areas) with limited mowing regime, or mosaic mowing (data collection in 2020)
ch) map of the occurrence of animals in residential areas (data collection in 2020)
i) map of animal shelters in residential areas (data collection in 2020)
- We have compiled Catalogue of selected adaptation and mitigation measures
- We have developed a Climate Action Plan 2020-2030 for the Municipality Bratislava-Karlova Ves (BA-KV). On 16 June 2020, it was approved by the BA-KV Municipal Council and on 30 June 2020 by the BA-KV Municipal Assembly. English summary from page no. 41
- The vulnerability of a part of the Municipality Bratislava-Karlova Ves to the impacts of climate change was assessed
- A survey on mobility and local transport in the Municipality Bratislava-Karlova Ves was organized
- The carbon footprint of the Municipality Bratislava-Karlova Ves was calculated: The local contribution of the municipality to global climate change
- A study of temperature modeling with a focus on temperature islands in the Municipality Bratislava-Karlova Ves was prepared
- The current climatic characteristics of the Municipality Bratislava-Karlova Ves and a description of scenarios of climate change impacts on the area were developed
- A draft of principles for the construction and restoration of paved surfaces in the Municipality Bratislava-Karlova Ves was prepared
- Background material – technical report was prepared: Modeling and mapping of the flood threat of the solved area of the residential area Dlhé diely located in the Municipality Bratislava-Karlova Ves
- Working group of experts from the field of energy consultancy, rainwater, sustainable architecture and green solutions (MUWOG) set up.
- Detailed methodology and procedure for developing a strategy and an action plan designed.